Learn how to become a citizen advocate – just in time for the General Assembly to kick off on Jan. 14.
Training opportunities coming up from Fair Districts GA, Feminist Women’s Health Center, Tzedek Georgia and the New Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta, IndivisibleGA04, Georgia Equality, and SPARK (Reproductive Justice Now), and then you can put it all into practice at Citizen Lobby Days with Common Cause of Georgia.
* Tuesday, Jan. 8, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Fair Districts GA Orientation for Volunteer Advocates, VIRTUAL.
This orientation is full, but you can watch it live-streamed on their public Facebook page (www.facebook.com/FairDistrictsGA). If you're interested in attending their next orientation in February (date TBD), email Pat Byrd at pat@FairDistrictsGA.org. Volunteers will be trained to effectively communicate with lawmakers and government officials. Topics include: Explanation of the redistricting reform legislation (Christopher Bruce, ACLU of Georgia), insights about lobbying best practices (Perry Mitchell, experienced citizen-lobbyist), plans and expectations for the 2019 General Assembly session (State Sen. Elena Parent (SD 42) and State Rep. Becky Evans (HD 83), and a guide to the Capitol building, including the logistics of rope-line lobbying.
* Saturday, Jan. 12, 10:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Feminist Women's Health Center Legislative Advocacy Training, Keswick Park Community Center, Chamblee.
Learn how our state government works, updates on current laws around reproductive justice, and multiple ways to advocate for better state laws. The workshop includes plenty of practice exercises to get you comfortable with the real thing, and we’ll have lunch (provided) with a legislator. Advance tickets $15, $20 at the door. Scholarships available! Call 404.248.5445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Register here: https://bit.ly/2F8CiyL.
* Saturday, Jan. 19, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Learn How to Influence Your Legislators Workshop, The Cathedral of St. Philip 2744 Peachtree Road NW, Atlanta, 30305.
Learn the nuts and bolts of advocating for immigrant rights under the Gold Dome. The workshop is co-sponsored by Tzedek Georgia and the New Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta. More info: Tom Hagood, email@example.com.
* Saturday, Jan. 26, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Advocating for the World We Want: Advocacy Training, North Decatur Presbyterian Church, 611 Medlock Rd, Decatur, 30033.
Hosted by IndivisibleGA04. Join us for a training with Tzedek Georgia and The New Sanctuary Movement on influencing your legislators as the state legislative session begins. Please kindly RSVP for this free training so we can contact you about venue confirmation and so we'll have enough coffee and doughnuts Free event but small donations are welcomed. Please indicate in the RSVP, the areas in which you are interested in advocating. https://tinyurl.com/y747axpc.
* Saturday, Jan. 26, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Georgia Equality Legislative Advocacy Training, Phillip Rush Center Annex, 1530 DeKalb Ave, Atlanta 30307.
Georgia Equality staff provides the tools necessary to make an impact on issues you care about. We’ll begin with a Legislative Update/Overview for the work ahead in 2019. LGBTQ and supportive voices are going to be critical at the state capitol again this year as we push for full non-discrimination protections in state law. Whether you're LGBTQ or an ally, we want you with us! RSVP here: https://bit.ly/2CPcl4E.
* Saturday, Jan. 26, 10a-2p.m., SPARK (Reproductive Justice Now) Legislative Advocacy Training: Healium Center, 344 Candler Park Drive Northeast, Atlanta, 30307.
SPARK Organizing Intensive is an immersive organizing and advocacy workshop to learn about the Georgia legislature and how you can make change beyond the polls. This will be a lead-up to our annual Legislate THIS!, our advocacy day at the capitol. When you register to attend this training event, please also register for Legislate THIS! For more info about SPARK: www.sparkrj.org/our-work. Register Here: https://bit.ly/2TvmQzH.
* Tuesday, Jan. 22, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.; Thursday, Feb. 14, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.; Thursday, Feb. 28, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.; Thursday, March 14, 9:00 a.m.-12:00, Citizen Lobby Days with Common Cause of Georgia, 206 Washington Street SW, Atlanta 30303.
Join us for our citizen lobby day! We'll have a brief discussion outlining our goals for this legislative session plus any updates and training for new activists. Then we'll head upstairs to talk to our Senators and Representatives. Make your voice heard! Check it out here: www.facebook.com/CommonCauseGeorgia. Meeting Room TBD. Make Sure You Bring Picture ID!
Many thanks to Becky Butler for most of this info!