House District 52
- County: Fulton County
- Metro Area/Region: Atlanta Area
- Cities/Towns/Areas: Atlanta and Sandy Springs
- Population: 56,484
- Median Household Income: $76,000
- Completed High School 27%
- Completed College/Beyond 67.1%
- White 67.6%
- Black 12.8%
- Hispanic 13.9%
- Asian 4.1%
- Congressional District(s): GA-6, GA-11
- GA Senate District: SD 6, SD 32, SD 56
|2016||Clinton 49.71%||Trump 45.43%||Margin=D+5.2%|
|2012||Obama 36.77%||Romney 61.94%||Margin=R+25.2%|
DISTRICT ELECTION RESULTS
|2016||Deborah Silcox (R)
|2014||Joseph Wilkinson (R)
|2012||Joseph Wilkinson (R)
- Incumbent: Deborah Silcox (R)
- Campaign Website: silcoxforgeorgia.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/State-Rep-Deborah-Silcox-250093028763321/
- Twitter: twitter.com/@debdsilcox
- Republican Candidate: Gavi Shapiro (R)
- Campaign Website: gavishshapiro.com
- Facebook: N/A
- Twitter: twitter.com/@GaviShapiro
- Democratic Candidate: Shea Roberts
- Campaign Website: sheaforgeorgia.com
- Facebook: N/A
- Twitter: N/A
FOLLOW THE MONEY
In 2016, two Republicans raised $356,681.
NOTES AND SUMMARY
This district is in highly educated, high income north Buckhead and Sandy Springs. HD 52 has been very red in the past (Romney beat Obama by 25 points), but voters were not fond of Trump (Clinton beat Trump by 5 points).
At the State House level, the seat has not had a Democrat run for at least the last three election cycles. In 2012 and 2014, the Republican office-holder ran unopposed. After he retired, two Republicans ran against each other in the 2016 Primary.
Deborah Silcox (R) won the primary by a narrow margin as a first time candidate (indications point to her being hand-picked by her predecessor, Joe Wilkinson). Silcox then ran unopposed in the 2016 general election. Silcox has as her main priorities being pro-business and low taxes. Silcox is running again in 2018. She was a community and political volunteer before becoming a lawyer and before running for office.
Gavi Shapiro (R) calls Silcox a "benchwarmer." His platform is school choice, eliminate state income tax, and modernize transportation. He describes himself as a technology expert and entrepreneur.
Democrat Shea Roberts (D) has as her priorities: infrastructure, jobs, healthcare (she’s concerned about rural hospitals and Medicaid), fiscal transparency. She’s an attorney in private practice, primarily in the areas of land use, zoning, real estate, and domestic relations.