#159CalltoAction: Ninth Congressional District Letter-Writing Campaign on Health Care
Calling on 159ers in the Ninth Congressional District! We, the 159 board and our new 159 ambassador for the ninth, Packy McKibben, are looking for letter writers for a letters-to-the-editor campaign on health care and how Congress, and Rep. Doug Collins in particular, needs to listen to Georgians and find a bipartisan solution that does not adversely impact citizens in his district. Rep. Collins feels that the ACA doesn’t warrant his support. Let’s remind him that he should listen to his constituents who want adequate health care for all.
- Look for the newspaper's submission guidelines. There is usually a word count limit.
- Make it personal. Talk about what you're most concerned about and why, (i.e., "I'm a two-time cancer survivor and I'm concerned about the Republican Congress proposed Affordable Care Act replacement. It does XYZ which will deeply affect me and my family.")
- Mention that despite contacting your representative multiple times, you're dismayed at his lack of concern for the Ninth Congressional District constituents, especially the lack of an opportunity to directly discuss issues with them via a town hall meeting. During uncertain times, we need strong leaders, not leaders that hide from those they represent.
- Keep it firm, but respectful. Avoid inflammatory language.
Let us know if you submit a letter and especially if it gets published! Good luck! #159advocacy
Ninth Congressional District Newspapers
- Banks: BanksNewsToday (published out of Jefferson).
- Clarke: (Partial) Athens Banner-Herald, and don’t discount the good UGA student paper Red and Black
- Dawson: Dawson County News
- Elbert: Elberton Star
- Fannin: Fannin Sentinel, The News Observer
- Forsyth (Partial, see also 7th district): CountyLine Magazine, Forsyth News
- Franklin: Franklin County Citizen Leader, Northeast Georgia Living (Created as a general lifestyle publication that represents the people, places and things that make the Northeast Georgia area unique. Editorial covers a 15 county area including Banks, Dawson, Elbert, Franklin, Habersham, Hall, Hart, Jackson, Lumpkin, Madison, Rabun, Towns, Stephens, Union and White. Contains information on regional antiques, gardening, interiors, wineries, music, food, museums, politics, education and spotlights local downtown areas in each issue.
- Gilmer: Times-Courier
- Habersham: The Northeast Georgian
- Hall: BraseltonNews TODAY, The [Gainesville] Times
- Hart: Hartwell Sun
- Jackson: BraseltonNews TODAY, CommerceNews TODAY, The Jackson Herald, Jackson Herald TODAY
- Lumpkin: Dahlonega Nugget
- Madison: Madison County Journal
- Pickens (Partial): Pickens County Progress
- Rabun: The Clayton Tribune, The Georgia Mountain Laurel (Written for residents of Habersham, Rabun, Towns, Union and White counties. Contains information on lodging, dining, art, events, local attractions, people and the businesses that support Rabun's Laurel. Offers something for every member of the family. Sections include On Stage, Flora and Fauna, Healthcare, Church and Features, all centered on creating the most effective means of promoting the region.)
- Stephens: The Toccoa Record
- Towns: Towns County Herald
- Union: North Georgia News
- White: White County News